Worried About The Swine Flu
I am seriously worried about the Swine Flu outbreak that is occuring in Mexico. Before heading to my regular On The Couch AA meeting, I was listening to Brian Suits show last night and he was talking about how serious the potential effects of Swine Flu outbreak
He said that only four cities in America during the great 1918 flu pandemic did not have any outbreaks. The basic strategy was to use an containment and isolation strategy. Simply, the best strategy with pandemics is to restrict the free movement of people within geographical areas.
For example, the city of Mission Viejo would restrict the movement of people to within the city limits of Mission Viejo. Nobody in the city could move in and out of the cities. Things like shipments of food to the local grocery store would not be limited because people need to eat and the risk for contaimination with food is low.
This would occur if the outbreak would get to the point where it will be a national emergency. For right now, the Daily Kos has some good advice to prevent from getting sick. Here is what they recommend
- Avoid close contact. Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.
- Stay home when you are sick. If possible, stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness.
- Cover your mouth and nose. Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick.
- Clean your hands. Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Practice other good health habits. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food
The other thing is they recommend is to avoid to travel down to Mexico. That is good advice in itself because you do not want to be stopped by a Mexican drug dealer with a machine gun anyways. With banditios and a potential pandemic that have the potential to be the one that foretold in bible prophecy, I am sure not headed down in Mexico any time in the near future.
In my life, I guess that I keep mindful of this issue and take the necessary precautions. There is nothing that I can do to control the spread of the disease and the only thing that I can do is preventative measures. I have to live with the acceptance that this thing can get real ugly and not let fear rule my life.
I am not going to sit at home and hunker down and go to OC Burner Campout. It is time to get out of Mission Viejo and party but of course, without drinking. Anyways, I am out and I am that I am not wheeled into Mission Viejo hospital because of the swine flu